Butchers take larger wholesale sections of meat and break them down into smaller portions or custom cuts which can be sold to customers. They break down meats, design signs and displays, and speak to customers to answer questions and handle requests.
We are looking for a skilled Butcher to provide high-quality meats and services to our customers. The Butcher will perform quality inspections, use meat grinders, knives, saws, and other tools to cut meat down into smaller portions, weigh, price, and package cuts, and ensure that displays and signage are attractive and eye-catching. You will also speak to customers to determine their needs, provide advice regarding proper cuts of meat and preparation methods, and coordinate pickups or deliveries.
To succeed as a Butcher, you should be courteous, knowledgeable, and detail-oriented. You should have excellent communication skills and a strong understanding of meat quality, cuts, and preparation.
- Location: Unit 159, 1600 15th ave Prince George, BCV2L 3X3
- Salary: $17.50HOUR hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 1 vacancy
- Cutting, grinding and preparing meats for sale.
- Cleaning and maintaining tools and equipment and ensuring displays and signage are accurate and attractive.
- Weighing, packaging, pricing, and displaying products.
- Keeping records, budgets, and inventory.
- Performing quality inspections on meats and other products.
- Negotiating and confirming orders with suppliers.
- Adhering to food safety and sanitation controls.
- Greeting and speaking to customers, providing advice, answering questions, and accepting orders or payments.
- Coordinating deliveries or order pickups.
- Education or food preparation or meat cutting experience.
- Ability to use hand tools, stand or walk for extending periods, lift heavy items, and work in cold environments.
- Additional training is often required.
- Knowledge of meat preparation techniques and cuts.
- Strong communication, task management, and customer service skills.
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
or equivalent experience
- Specific Skills
- Slice cooked meats
- Shape, lace and tie roasts, other meats, poultry and seafood
- Remove bones from meat
- Prepare special displays of meats, poultry and fish products
- Prepare special orders
- Make special sausages
- Grind meats
- Cut fish into steaks and fillets
- Cut poultry into parts
- Cut, trim and prepare standard cuts of meat
- Cut carcasses, sides and quarters
- Clean and prepare fish and shellfish
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Visible minorities